Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Cruel...

Anorexia nervosa takes an enormous toll on the body. But that's not all. It has the highest death rate of any mental illness. Between 5% and 20% of people who develop the disease eventually die from it. The longer you have it, the more likely you will die from it. Even for those who survive, the disorder can damage almost every body system. (ANAD)

Beyond experiencing the immediate effects of anorexia nervosa, individuals suffer long-term consequences throughout the life cycle, regardless of treatment. In addition to the risks of recurrence, malnutrition may cause irregular heart rhythms and heart failure. Lack of calcium places anorexics at increased risk for osteoporosis both during their illness and in later life. A majority of anorexics also have clinical depression while others suffer from anxiety or substance abuse, and many are at risk for suicide. Approximately 1 in 10 women afflicted with anorexia will die of starvation, cardiac arrest, or other medical complication, making its death rate among the highest for a psychiatric disease.


Of everything that was said about ME... laughing about my eating disorder was the MOST hurtful... I almost died and it was NO joke! Of the 30 women I was in treatment with, 8 (that I know of) have died. The girl in the picture with me, was one of them.

Had I not been made aware of those comments a week ago... I may have been more likely to encourage reconciliation with the one who made them.

No, I am not anorexic anymore... and I thank God for that! I've been in recovery for almost 10 years... and it was a long, HARD battle... and nothing to be poked fun at... That is simply cruel beyond measure...

1 comment: