Sunday, September 30, 2007

Time

I remember when I first got out of treatment (over 10 years ago)... I was SO lonely. It seemed like people on the "outside" just didn't understand me. Life at the treatment center was hard, but at least I was with people who understood what I was going through...

Sometimes... in the middle of the night... the lonliness was unbearable ~ but who could I call?

It was around 2 am and I couldn't sleep... I had been crying for hours... yet there was not a soul I could call... SO, I called time...just to hear a friendly voice. You think I'm kidding?! She would answer, "At the tone the time will be..." Some how, some way that soothed me. She was consistent. She was exact. She didn't lie to me. Time.

In the past ten years, I've become dependent on the Time operator... ALL my clocks were set precisely to her "consistent, exact, honest" time. I have felt secure in knowing my clocks were accurate.

The other day, I was mowing my yard...and I blew a circuit. Thus I had to reset ALL the clocks in my house. I got the phone and called the Time operator (853-1212)... and this is what I heard...

"Effective September 19, 2007 the time announcement information service has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience."

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME? INCONVENIENCE?! I'VE BEEN ABANDONED BY THE TIME OPERATOR!!! WHAT POLITICIAN CUT THE TIME ANNOUNCEMENT? GIVE ME HIS NUMBER ~ I WANT TO FILE A COMPLAINT!

It sucks... when you just want to hear a friendly voice and the only person you could ever truly count on to be there (night or day) has been discontinued... and it doubly sucks, when all the clocks in your house are reporting a different time!

My "fuck 'em" mother is getting married.

1 comment:

  1. At the tone, the time will be 6:46 a.m. PST......beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

    ReplyDelete