Sunday, July 15, 2007

six little children







He was lured into the car, though no one really knows exactly how. The only thing we know for certain is that he suffered...greatly! They took him to a remote hilltop and beat him unmercifully. He couldn't have seen it coming... they drove over his legs, breaking them. Unable to flee, they poured gasoline over his bloodied body and lit him on fire. But, the fire went out quickly. He was still alive. They left him, broken and charred. To the gas station to buy more gas, then to McD's for a burger... then back up to that remote hilltop to the 17 year old boy, who lay dying. Together, they poured the gasoline over his body and put the final torch to him...and left him burning ALIVE. His family was annihilated by the brutality of D's death. We went to the trial ~ my Mom and I. Held his mother's hand as they showed the jury pictures of her son's mutilated body... Those two only got 25 years to life in prison for this horrific crime.

The family is poor ~ very poor. This past Christmas we pooled our resources and "made" them a Christmas. I didn't have much to give... I was poor myself. I did have food stamps though... So, I used all that I had to buy the family groceries...

They came to church today! All of them! Sister seat saver (my Mom) saved the entire row of seats and they filled them all. Six of the younger siblings and cousins went to Vacation Bible School at the church last week. Between my Mom and I, we made sure they had a ride every morning and were picked up every afternoon... How beautiful it was to see those six little children sing in the children's choir today! Nothing will bring D back... yet, I counted six of his sisters and cousins singing "Our God is an Awesome God" in church today.

She doesn't speak English, D's mom... But I understood "agradézcale mi amiga por su compasión en mi familia" (thank you my friend for your compassion on my family).


No comments:

Post a Comment