Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pocket Full of Rocks (#1)

Did any of you have any weird habits as a kid? I used to walk around with a pocket full of rocks. I thought those rocks would save my life!

I was born Dec. 2, 19-something and I weighed 7.5 lbs. That's important to tell you, because 7 weeks later while my 15 year old drug addicted mother and my 19 year old drug addicted father were being arrested, the police found me in our home (which was a VW van) weighing only 2.5 lbs.

At the hospital, I was given my first label ~ Infant with Failure to Thrive. The doctor said, "It'll be a miracle if this baby lives." We obviously know how that story ended, because I'm talking to you today.
To any 2, 3, 4 year old child, anyone over 5 feet is a GIANT. When my giant social worker would come to "visit" me, I knew my life was going to be disrupted AGAIN. So, when she would appear, I would disappear. I'd hide... under beds, on top of the roof, anywhere...
My foster Mom took me to church, where I heard the story of David and Goliath... the story of a little Shepard boy that killed the giant with one tiny rock. So, I figured that I needed to have rocks with me at all times... then I could KILL my giant (and I wouldn't have to go to any more foster homes). From then on, I walked around with a pocket full of rocks.

No, I never had the courage to THROW any of those rocks, but I had them with me just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment