Friday, July 20, 2007

Pocket Full of Rocks (#3)

The lesson I have learned... is that life is hard ~ ROCK hard sometimes. The storms of life happen to all of us at some point in our lives. Yet, the storms don't determine if we stay "standing", rather is IS the foundation upon which we have built our "house".


Take a house built in Malibu and a house built in Manhattan. They could even be the exact same floor plan, model, same color etc... When the storms of life come (and they come for everyone) which house will remain standing? Malibu is built on sand. Manhattan is built on the tip of a granite rock. For the foundation WILL determine the final outcome... How often do we see the pictures of "Malibu" being destroyed by the winds, flood, fires? Every year, Malibu is in the news... but they continue to build their houses on the sand. How often do you read or hear about Manhattan being destroyed by the storms? NEVER. The only thing that could crush the house in Manhattan is the enemy slamming a 747 into it's belly! For the house in Malibu was built by the fool ~ built on shaking ground of lies and deceit and flimsy DIRT. The house in Manhattan was built by the wise ~ built on solid TRUTH!


The storms of life come for all of us...


One such storm happened in my life... He was 13 years old when his parents brought him to our drug rehab. Mark was addicted to heroin. I worked with this boy and his parents for months, and desperately tried to teach Mark how to kill his giant ~ heroin. I'll NEVER forget the morning the call came in, "Dr. Krista, Mark killed himself last night." I was shaken! He was only 13 years old!


I wanted to quit. I ran...  I was DONE, "That's it! I'm NOT doing this work anymore!" I threw my rocks down and refused to pick them back up. 


"Why me?"


The answer was undeniable...


"Why NOT you? You are a simple girl, entangled with the same mistakes and shortcomings as everyone else... Why NOT you? You are a small pebble plucked from a stream and when thrown by my hand, giants in the lives of those around you have fallen; it is NOT your strength, but mine... Why NOT you?"


So... I picked up my rocks and began to build on the foundation of TRUTH... 


I am filling my pockets full of rocks... and I will teach them to fill their pockets too!


No comments:

Post a Comment