Saturday, April 14, 2007

Tent-It!

I set the tent up ALL by myself. Hoorraaayy! Because my house will be "unavailable" during the scraping of the ceilings AND I have a cat killing dog (which eliminates the homes of my family and friends)... we are officially homeless. I knew that Marlboro tent (that I got with my miles) would come in handy. The funny thing is... back when I ordered it, my friend L and I would tease that I would need it for when I was homeless (cuz I had just lost everything I had ~ and was facing having NO place to live). Does this count as camping? ONE week! And it's friggin COLD outside! I'll simply turn it into an adventure... jojo. Abby. Put your coats on... body heat dogs ~ let's share the body heat!

Went to my nephews ball game today. There is something so incredible about watching kids play ball. They are still at the age where ~ when an opposing player falls, they help 'em up ~ when a batter strikes out or makes a mistake, they still encourage them. Life has yet to teach them "survival of the fittest"!

And of course, I was humbled a bit more when I met little Sally. She's the size of a 3 year old, yet she IS actually 9 yrs old. As my sister lifted her onto her lap, I could see the feeding tube that has been inserted into her belly. She has a rare disease that will eventually take her life (she's already exceeded what the doc's expected). The ONLY words she can say (clearly) are I LOVE YOU. I watched her (when I wasn't watching my nephew swingin' at the ball with all his might)... I wondered why that was the only thing she could say... how is it that a child only learns 3 words in 9 years? Her brother came out of the dug out to ask his mom for sunflower seeds... he turned to Sally on his way back and said, "hey Sally... I LOVE YOU." The Mom needed to go to her car and she left Sally with us. Before she walked away she said, "I'll be right back Sally... I LOVE YOU." That's when it hit me... those are words she hears the most ~ it makes perfect sense that those are the words she says the most. The game was over and we were packing up to go... and little Sally waddled over to ME. She said, "I LOVE YOU" and gave me a hug. Tears immediately filled my eyes as my heart was flooded with the tenderness of this little girl. Precious!

I drove my sister to her car, cuz her foot is hurting her... on the way she told me... Sally's "mom" is really her aunt... I guess the real mom is in jail ~ because she physically abused the children (and drugs)... The aunt took the 2 kids, though she had 4 of her own that she was struggling to provide for. Though they are POOR by the worlds standards ~ they are RICH with LOVE.

Little Sally! I am so glad those are the words you speak... yet I am even more glad that those are the words you HEAR...

Now... I go to tent-It!

1 comment:

  1. Poor is the man who never realizes love, in any form. Sally in her own right, is rich beyond many wildest dreams. And I'm glad you experienced her.

    ReplyDelete