Friday, April 13, 2007

OC's Brightest!

Yeah so... I went to a dinner last night ~ one of those informational/mingle with the Doc's, invitation only dinners... I'm almost speechless about it. What can I say? I don't really "fit in" with that crowd... they are, for the most part, stuffy and arrogant. So... I was sitting there with two shrinks across from me, two Md's next to me. They had us stand UP and introduce ourselves (about 50 doc's from OC)... Me, being totally unconventional... introduced myself as "Krista". That's it. No "Dr." just Krista.

The little Mexican waiter came to clear the plates, however he couldn't reach the one's on the end, due to the projector thing. I clearly saw his dilemma and asked the Md's to pass their plates down. They just looked at me like I was nuts! But I didn't back down... The little Mexican Waiter loaded up a million plates on his arm, and the Shrink across from me rolled his eyes... That was IT! I was lit... I said to him, "Hey that's true talent right there...how many plates can YOU load on your arm?" Then gave him one of those "charming, but I won't give in" smiles... yeah! He sat there with his Russian (I don't speak English) mail order bride...and winked at ME during the entire dinner. It wasn't that he was about 20 years older than me that repulsed me (cuz age is relative to me ~ I've met some adolescents that have more wisdom and maturity than some 50 year olds), rather it WAS his "I'm better than everyone because MD is after my name and I can sleep with anyone I want, despite the fact that I'm married" that repulsed me. I digress....

Intellectually I can keep up with the best of them... I understood the lecture ~ I could track with the neuropharmaceutical they were pushing and the effects on the Gabaergic transmissions, dysregulation of neurotransmission and micro nutrient deficiencies... Here was a room full of mostly men... discussing this MULTI MILLION dollar "rat experiment" on humans for this latest DRUG (it's the new Valium). Yeah, it's another double-blind experiment (which are kinda dangerous, but effective for getting statistics)... and I couldn't help but think... Geeze! ALL this money being spent on another band aid... let me break it down. 3 of these intravenous injections of this latest "Valium" cost $12,500!!! 5 cost $15,000!!! WOW! One could buy a car and move from the dysfunction that requires them to medicate to begin with for the amount of 5 treatments! AND the "old" Valium ISN'T even FDA approved... this one won't be either!

WHY???? Why don't they spend that money to figure out why people need to be medicated to begin with? Why don't they look at the break down of our family systems, society's MORAL compass... perhaps look at why so many people are miserable with their lives???? THIS baffles ME! I digress again...

SO... I went to the dinner. Dressed all like a Dr. and mingled with OC's brightest... but ya know... my heart is in jeans and a t-shirt frolicking with a horse, dog or any four legged creature for that matter... I'm not knocking the medical community ~ well I am ~ but I DO have respect for science/psychology... I just think they are missing the point. People are literally dying in our society because they do not have that innate ability to connect with the basic premise ~ humans NEED love...joy...connection...stability... NOT a pill (which perscription pills are the #1 addiction in the U.S.).

AND to boot ~ I missed Survivor cuz I was rubbing elbows with those brainaics! No worries... I did get a few "contacts" ~ it was a "networking" thing after all ;) But I CHOSE who I gave my information to... and I met some good people! One gal in particular ;) that I'm excited to (possibly) work with in the future.

Okay... I'm off to meet a friend in a bit. Today IS my Dad's 74th birthday! Called him this morning to wish him a happy birthday... I asked how old he is now...he said, "47" I said, "I knew that dyslexia would come in handy some day!" He IS my hero!

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget your flip-flops while frolicking....they're perfect.

    ReplyDelete