Monday, March 12, 2007

old ugly vanity

My friend was driving home from work and spotted an old vanity for sale in a yard. She immediately called me, because she knew that I have wanted one just like that for years... my grandma had one and I used to play "dress up" at it when I was young. So, I hopped in my car and headed over there... No answer to the door bell. Someone had already left a note saying she wanted to buy it. I went to my car and the only thing I could find to write on was a business card. I wrote a short note on the back. Walking back to put it next to the other note, the lady came to the door. I told her I was interested in the vanity...AND I told her the other note WAS there first. She said, "if you want it, you can take it." She was an older lady, kind of cranky... I called my parents and asked for my Dad to bring the truck. Within, 15 min. He was there ready to load the old UGLY vanity on the truck. I went to give the lady the money. She began to cry when I handed her the money ~ said, she'd just gotten out of the hospital and was really struggling. The vanity was her grandmothers, but she needed the money. She thanked me and I promised to take good care of the vanity... and off I went.

I took pictures of the ugly vanity... then I set about my work. Sanded it down, taking off the old scars ingrained in the wood... Stained it a beautiful dark wood...and it was an amazing transformation! Captured the new vanity and will send the pictures to the old lady...

While tenderly creating that masterpiece... my mind began to swirl around thoughts of the significance of the transformation process. How often are we scarred by life ~ scratched ~ depleted of our beauty ~ and left feeling abandoned on the side of a road? Perhaps we are blessed enough to have someone come along... and take the time to love us through the transformation process, even though it may be painful and take a tremendous amount of patience ~ what a beautiful outcome!

The human condition of pain can be incredibly complicated to understand. Sometimes, it is during our most painful times in life, that we push the people away that could help us the most. We may disregard the people that love us and care for us ~ the people that would walk through the valley with us and help us come out stronger. This could be a result of shame or guilt or embarrassment... either way ~ resulting in isolation and loss. I'd even venture to take it one more step and say...sometimes we turn to people who will tickle our ears with their truth, because we so desperately want to hear what we already believe in our hearts ~ "that person never really cared about me" "that person betrayed me" "that person wasn't sincere." We may push away the very person who brought us comfort and who was willing to go through the transformation process with us...

My NEW vanity! It is beautiful and it wasn't by accident my friend drove down that street... Perhaps the old lady will begin her healing process ~ and what an honor to be a part of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment