Monday, January 29, 2007

Legacy

So... I was reflecting and pondering the universe this morning... What do I want my "legacy" to be? Do I want to be rich and famous? No. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but for ME... I don't need those things to be fulfilled. I think of one (of many) of the kids I worked with... let me tell you about him...

"U" was in second grade when he was referred to ME. He was getting in fights, failing in school and starting to develope a really BAD attitude. The first day I met him, I understood him completely. He had really BIG ears that stuck straight out... he kept his hair long to attempt to cover them, but they poked out even still. He plopped down in my office and said, "when I look in the mirror, I like who I see, but when other people look at me...they say I'm ugly." It broke MY heart! I called a Dr. "friend" and asked if there was anything that could be done for the boy... Yes. Dr. M perform plastic surgery for the boy ~ pinned his ears back. The hospital donated the surgery room, the "drug" doc donated his time and drugs...Dr. M donated his talent... Dr. M told me his earlobes were actually TORN (from the kids pulling on his ears). It's been years since then... U is probably in high school now... He called me a few years back and thanked me ~ said his life will never be the same... His dream was to be on TV. Last I heard...he was making commercials and doing great!

That is the legacy I want to leave... I will continue to work with these underpriveledged kids... I tell them, "when people tell you ~ YOU CAN'T... you say PROVE IT". So many have passed through my office over the past 12 years... some didn't make it ~ some were gunned down on their way to school...some turned to drugs... but SOME made it. Those kids are the reason I continue in this work!

I recently saw the movie "Freedom Writers" ~ I SO identified with it.

Remember to be a blessing to someone today...

No comments:

Post a Comment