Sunday, August 5, 2018

Trains and Serial Killers


When my new sister first asked about me taking the train down to San Diego... I'm certain she "saw" this...

And THIS is what I "saw"...

My #3 fear = Trains (totally irrational since I'd never been on a train)

I didn't want to be a sissy about it though, so I decided to just go with it and deal with my anxiety later. I mean... I wouldn't want her to know how OCD and neurotic I am or anything.

I did a little research in preparation.Google is my friend.

1. Safety tips for travelers

2. How to spot serial killers

3. What to take on the train

4. Emergency exits on trains

5. Train etiquette

6. Safest place to sit on trains

7.  What if I miss my exit?

8. Hospitals near train stations

9. Do Hobo's still sneak on trains

10. Are Hobo's serial killers

I arrived at the train station like an hour before departure ~ just to make sure I could figure it all out without a panic attack. I also made sure to park near the emergency assistance thing-a-ma-bob. Ya never know when you might get attacked by a serial killer in the parking lot...


I must have looked like I knew what I was doing because a few people stopped to ask ME how to navigate the train station... 

Which is slightly ludicrous considering I probably should have been heavily medicated to navigate this "experience" on my own. 

Alas... I found my "track" and patiently waited for it to arrive... to take me to my impending death.

Then I started to doubt the wisdom of taking this trip solo and I sensed a little bit of hysteria coming on.

I mean... if "they" have to tell you to stand behind the yellow line ~ how much faith do "they" put in the human instinct to live? And if the human instinct to live is that flimsy, what would prevent someone from pushing me onto the train track? EVERYONE was suspect at that point (and it was only 8:00 a.m.). 


I did a quick scan of the other passengers... Nobody stood out as an obvious murderer (although that 3 year old was questionable), but one chick seemed to know what she was doing. So, I decided to follow her every move (not in a creepy stalker kind of way ~ but just to mimic her confidence). 
** See her standing behind me (and well back from the yellow line ~ so clearly she was safe). ** p.s. never piss off your hair dresser before the 2nd most important meeting of your life ~ notice my gray hair?


Here she comes... ALL Aboard!


I followed the confident chick onto the train...Thankfully I had a business class ticket as well or that would have been weird. Once in the car (which for the record I think it's really strange that they call it a "car" on a "train") I did a quick inventory of potential seatmates. And I found the PERFECT guy... 


He was totally asleep thus eliminating any awkward conversation. I left my glasses on in case any other passengers tried to make eye contact and thereby establishing a need for small talk. After awhile, I realized nobody gave a shit and I didn't need to pretend to be cool. 


He slept the ENTIRE time... Around the Oceanside stop I started getting all co-dependent and worried that he'd miss his exit. I seriously debated waking him up, but he DID have ear plugs and was covered in tattoo's, so he was most certainly a serial killer and so... I left him to his own fate. 

Spent the day in Old Town San Diego with my new sister and her guy... I did give her the Writers Miranda rights, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do may be held in the court of public view". She was duly warned... 


 We ate Mexican food, chased Orbs, walked and talked... AND she didn't kill me, nor did she hide my body in the desert. I'm fairly certain she's not a serial killer... She is however, incredibly artistic and takes amazing photo's.



(the tunnel between Old Town and the Train station)

How many people get the "Surprise! You have a sister AND she's not a serial killer"? I consider myself very fortunate!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment